Kanu Unchou Sangoku Version (Final)

Well, it is now December.  I don’t know why it takes me so long to finish things?   But, I have finally completed Kanu’s horse.  It was not a particularly difficult task, but more so a question of focus.  There were many times that I did a little work on this, and then got distracted or stopped work.  Perhaps the problem was that it all began with a fairly uninteresting base coated brown horse.

Dsc05171

 

I began by darkening the horse’s mane and tail while thinking about a base.  The difficult part was to get started with the fair bit of masking required around the collar piece on the horse.  I chose to give it a metallic look with a bronze base and a chrome contrast.  I used a dark red enamel highlighted with a pink pearl for the tassels to keep with Kanu’s pink and red color scheme.

Dsc05204

 

Here are a few close-ups of the collar.

Dsc05205

Dsc05207

 

The next challenge was to paint the blankets.  I had to be careful with the textures, as the middle one would be gold and this had to be painted last. If I put masking tape on it to paint other parts the metallic look would be compromised.So, the sequence would be to paint the lower blanket first, then the top, the the middle gold one.

Dsc05210

 

The following pictures show the final result.

Dsc05240

Dsc05242

Dsc05247

 

The final step was to attach the stirrups and reins, and the fittings on the horse’s legs.  It was also time to glue the horse’s tail on.  I can’t tell you how many times it fell off when just temporarily inserted, and had to be repainted!

Dsc05251

 

And, of course, a final picture of the completed model.  More pictures can be seen in the Gallery.

Dsc05253

 

Kanu Unchou Sangoku Version (Update 2)

Since my last update I have mostly finished the figure.  The horse is the next step as it only has a base coat at the moment.

I had thought to paint the front of Kanu’s waistband a gloss black color, but when done I didn’t like it.  So I turned it into a chrome metallic which I think is much better.

 

 

 

I had a horrid time painting the gold trim on the boots.  I used Testor’s enamel and it was applied over a high gloss Future coated boot.  The problem is that the enamel is an oil base paint and it tends to slide all over the top of the gloss acrylic.  It does go on, but I had a lot of trouble to try and maintain an even edge.

 

Kanu’s weapon is painted with a Tamiya bronze and Alclad II chrome.

 

Kanu’s top is somewhat transparent.  It almost looks like she doesn’t have anything on?  I don’t know if this is PG-13, but then she is also beyond normal for her endowments which is probably also not PG-13.

 

 

 

Here is a picture from the back.  Kanu is indeed wearing a pink top, just in case you thought not.

 

The next step is to clean up a few minor issues with the figure and then begin work on the horse.  Look for another update in a week or two.  Thanks for visiting.

 

Update:  Minor issues are now corrected, and here are some more pictures, this time with the horse’s tail!

 

 

 

Kanu Unchou Sangoku Version (Beginning)

It’s been ages since I have posted new work.  But, I actually have been busy.  I acquired a copy of Kanu Unchou in the Sangoku version which is Kanu riding on a horse, and it is an impressive kit.  The horse is one solid cast item that is over 600 grams in weight.  Here are a few pictures of a dry fit that will give you an idea of what the model will look like.

 

 

 

 

My intention is to paint Kanu in a red and pink color scheme.  I will also give her a blonde hairstyle with blue eyes.  The horse will be a standard brown color.  What follows are a few in-progress pictures.

 

 

 

 

 

My next post will show some completion pictures.  Thanks for viewing.