2004 CISSP Certified Information Systems Security Professional
ISC2 Information Systems Security Certification Consortium
1998 Ph.D Candidate, Computer Science
University of New Brunswick – all but thesis
Implementing Context in Formal Specification Languages
1995 M.Sc., Computer Science
University of New Brunswick
Operator Overloading in C
1976 B.Sc., Computer Science
University of British Columbia
Topics of Interest:
I am seeking new ways to better understand and more easily manage computational complexity. One way is to extend the notion of a system specification language to include contextual reasoning as a language formalism. A language could then generate many different systems depending on the context. However, one difficulty with contextual reasoning and computational processing of language is resolving language ambiguity in all its forms, be they syntactic or semantic.
1. Computational intractability – NP complete problems
2. Natural language processing – effective representations of meaning
3. Formal systems and nonmonotonic logics – deductive reasoning
4. Computer languages – syntax and semantics
Publications and Presentations
Articles Published In Refereed Journals:
- Implementing Generalized Operator Overloading
Software: Practice and Experience
Volume 28, Issue 6, Pages 593 – 610 (1997)
William S. Miles, Leroy F. Johnson
- Miles, W., Cyber Security in the Digital Age, eCustomerWorld 2001 Cross Canada tour, April, 2001.
- Miles, W., Intuitionistic Logic in Business Systems, submitted for publication, Software: Practice and Experience (2000)
- Miles W. and L.F. Johnson, Thoughts on Estimating Software Costs, Proceedings Unite Conference Anaheim, Ca., March 1995.
- Miles, W., Operator Overloading in Object Oriented Systems, Proceedings Unite Conference Las Vegas, Nevada, October 1994.
- Miles, W., Object Oriented Analysis/Design – Class Structures and Abstract Data Types, Unite Conference Nashville, Tennessee, April 1994.
Relevant Work Experience
Alberta College of Art + Design, Calgary, Alberta 2006 – 2014 Manager, Systems + Data
- Instituted an information assurance improvement program, CobiT assessment, policy and procedure development and control processes to mitigate information risk. Instituted new board policy and governance controls within the College.
- Instituted a technology strategic planning process for Cabinet. Introduced a technology value chain and identified the required information budget for business value improvement.
- Management of Banner ERP student information system, PCI compliance, registration information, and student application data.
- Responsible for third party service providers, the technology support budget, and service level agreements.
- Manager for institutional analysis and government reporting requirements.
Weber State University,Ogden Utah 2005 – 2006 Faculty, Computer Science
- CS 4740: Security issues related to computers and computer networking.
- CS 4780: Object-oriented programming concepts, rapid application development concepts
- CS 3730: Client/server architecture and application development using TCP/IP and other protocols
- CS 3040: Windows/UNIX/Linux infrastructure and administration
- CS 3705: Advanced routing protocols, network services, security
DeVry Canada Inc. Calgary, Alberta 2002 – 2004 Instructor, Computer Information Systems
- CIS460 Client-Server technology, web services, including XML, SOAP, UDDI, WSDL, remote methods, distributed computing, and messaging.
- SEC075 Security assessments, information security audits, policy, regulatory requirements, risk assessments, disaster recovery implementations, cryptography and PKI concepts.
- CIS270 C# and Visual Studio .NET programming.
- WEB055 Introduction to HTML and web based processing.
EDS Canada Inc. Calgary, Alberta 1998 – 2002 Director, Security and Privacy, Western Canada
- Responsible for the service definition, knowledge awareness, collateral content, sales training and business advertising for EDS Canada Information Assurance services. Scope of services included Security Policy, Security Architecture, Risk Assessments, Vulnerability Scanning, Penetration Testing, Capacity Planning, Disaster Recovery Plans, Security Audits, Managed Security Services, PKI/Cryptography, Secure Application Development, Secure Application Integration, Firewall Implementation, and VPN Implementations.
- Sponsor for information security seminars and presentations for client organizations such as the Government of Canada and the Securities Professional Information Exchange (SPIE).
- Member of the EDS Canada Enterprise Consulting management team. Provided engagement oversight, bid and proposal management, and business executive leadership. Definition of security services component on managed services bids of $5M to $50M.
- Established relationships with Alberta government Centre of Research Excellence (iCORE) and the University of Calgary Chair of Software Engineering. Sponsor for Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS) data warehouse special interest group.
WSM Information Systems Inc., Calgary, Alberta 1996-1998 President
- Configuration Manager for the Department of National Defense, CFB Gagetown, on the CF146 Helicopter flight simulator. Configuration identification, change control, status accounting, audits and reviews for the 403 Squadron pilot conversion and recurrency training program.
- Project manager for AT&T Canada to define the upgrade strategy for operating systems, databases and third party software on over 100 different multi-vendor Unix systems to achieve a consistent Year 2000 platform environment for future continuous upgrades.
- Business modeling and project planning for delivery of a client-server motor vehicle accident reporting system for the Government of New Brunswick.
Unisys Canada Inc., Toronto, Ontario 1981-1996 Senior Consultant
- Development manager for the Government of New Brunswick Department of Heath Medicare Executive Information System for business management functions, Medicare service forecasts and epidemiological research needs.
- Senior consultant and advisor to the Government of Canada Employment and Immigration staff for developing data flow diagrams and business process models in support of planned system reengineering activities.
- Liaison between the Air Canada client project team and the Unisys software development plant to deliver the world’s first multi-host loosely coupled transaction processing systems.
- Principal consultant for the development and delivery of custom software for relational data access into very large hierarchical databases containing land registry information for the Government of New Brunswick and City of Windsor Geographic Information Systems.
- Responsible for the customization and integration of the airline local communication code into the operating system and operation environment for development of the Unisys USAS air cargo application system for the Air Canada Cargo System, Dorval, Quebec.
- Member of the Unisys Professional Practices working committee to select and develop management cost estimating metrics for system integration projects.
- Currently a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), the IEEE Technical Council on Software Engineering and the Information Metrics Institute of New Brunswick.
- Participated as a member of the Advisory Board for the Industrial Research Chair in Software Engineering at the University of Calgary and as a member of the Computer Advisory Committee for SAIT.
- Violoncello for the St. Anthony Civic Orchestra, North York Community Orchestra and the Fredericton Chamber Players.